Friday 24 June 2016

new ducks settled in


Yesterday morning I dug out a shallow pond, lined it, put tiles around to hold the plastic down, and planted some oregano on one side.  I had to go into the house, and when I looked through the window I could see all 7 in that new little puddle pool - it was a muddy puddle when I went back out!
My little troop of ducks were very interested in what was going on in their run.









After cleaning it out and refilling it I decided that grass and thyme would be a nicer surround than tiles, and I made sure the separating fence was up when I left the run


My new ducks arrived early this afternoon, first the ageing Aylesbury "Pato" and then the 6 little call ducks, 1 drake and 5 girls. They are so cute!

They all took to the water immediately and then explored their new surroundings, it looked like they felt at home right away.


Mick was happy to see his mum's little flock settling so well into their new home but was sorry to say goodbye to them.

He and Elaine will come and visit them often, though!



Having gone in for my dinner I could see my 7 trooping up to investigate their new neighbours.  Jay in particular spent ages running up and down the separating fence trying to get at the new ducks, and came back by himself to repeat that performance even after the rest of the flock had gone down to the big pond again.





A few blooms from the garden to finish for today, also to show that the delphinium I bought on 5th May turned out to be pink and blue at the same time and that one of the hollyhocks I got from Graham last year is heading for the roof:

This gorgeous rose was a present from my friend Petra last year.


















No comments:

Post a Comment