Saturday 12 July 2014

new feeder

Having seen this photo from a friend in the duck forum ...

... I thought this would be the perfect feeder for our ducks and it would keep pigeons, jackdaws, magpies, collar doves, squirrels and maybe even pheasants out of our ducks' food containers.


So I ordered this very model from Germany, it arrived on Thursday, I put it together on Friday morning - and our ducks and all the above mentioned smaller fry ignored it totally.  Friday evening I thought I'd try and encourage the use of this fantastic new feeder, pinned a couple of melon slices to the tread board and covered the tread itself with grass clippings.










Well, there was interest in the melon, but every time one of the ducks stepped on the tread it opened the food hatch with a clang and frightened the ducks off.
The pheasants, meanwhile, and other birds I mentioned earlier, helped themselves from the other food container in Dotty's enclosure:










Late evening we saw one of the brown ducks using the feeder as it was intended.  I didn't manage to get her on camera, so I'm not even sure which duck it was, but I thought she'd show the rest of them today how it worked.  It was a vain hope, none of them have been on it today at all. Maybe I should put out another lure of melon to entice them?


 



No comments:

Post a Comment